Education, Disability & Public Law
"I would recommend you and your company to my friends."Mr RP, Leeds
Are you or your child having problems at school, college, with your Local Authority or university? Are you a disabled person who has had difficulty accessing goods and services because of your disability?
We provide specialist advice in all aspects of Education law, including a dedicated service to those with disabilities and special educational needs. We also advise disabled people in relation to discrimination in the provision of goods, facilities and services.
This team "really knows its stuff" and "is staying true to the disability and SEN nature of the practice." Able to "work cases very well," the team advises clients on SEN, admissions and exclusions, and school transport. - Chambers UK 2013
"This team is 'very knowledgeable on education law' and continues to "pull in all the good cases. It is best known for its expertise in SEN, but also advises on a range of issues including admissions and exclusions, transport difficulties and judicial reviews.” - Chambers UK 2010.
"They prepare their cases brilliantly, know everything and can spot the key points and run with them." - Chambers UK 2009 More details>>>
"Levenes are well respected for their expertise in SEN matters" - Legal 500 2011
"Chris Barnett is ‘doing a sterling job’ handling the firm’s core work in SEN (Special Educational Needs) and disability discrimination." - Legal 500 2010 More details>>>
The types of cases that we handle include those relating to:
- Children with special educational needs who are not receiving the necessary provision
- Children who have not been admitted to the school of their parents' choice
- Children who are excluded from school
- Matters concerning the opening, closing or changing of the character of a school
- Transport difficulties in primary, secondary, further and higher education
- Unlawful local authority (LA) policies
- Students in further or higher education who are in dispute with their education institutions
- Disabled people who have been denied access to, or received a lower standard of, goods, services or facilities because of their disability, whether when dealing with organisations in the public, not for profit or private sector
We also provide consultancy, training and clerking services to organisations in the public, private and not for profit sectors on the law and best practice. Please see our section under Services for Organisations for further information.
We offer an initial fixed fee consultation to provide an overview and advise on next steps. Subsequent charges depend on the amount of work required. For more information, please click here or get in contact with us.