Leisure centre accident claim
Millions of people go to leisure centres for their health, welfare and relaxation every year, to use gym facilities for swimming and for other healthy activities.
You can make a compensation claim if you have been a victim of an accident at a leisure centre and suffered injury.
You can contact us, and we will advise you on whether you can make a claim as well as explaining to you the principles involved.
Who is responsible?
Leisure centres whether privately run or managed by the local authority, owe a duty of care to visitors to the centre. This duty is to take reasonable care for the health and safety of the people visiting the leisure centre.
In order to comply with this duty, a well-run leisure centre will have systems in place to regularly inspect gym equipment, to carry out cleaning safely and to monitor the general condition of the premises.
There should be a safe system for cleaning, such that, for example, cleaners should put out signs to show that the floor is wet when they have been mopping the floor.
When joining a gym, there should be a proper induction so that you are shown the safe way to use equipment.
Levenes have successfully pursued many cases of injuries at leisure centres including:-
- A solicitor who slipped during a 5 aside football game as there was a leaking roof.
- A man who fell off the seat in a sauna because the bench was not screwed down securely.
Common injuries at leisure centres include fractures, sprains and head injuries caused by slipping and falling.
In order to prove the injuries, as part of your claim we will obtain your medical records and arrange a medical examination.
What to do after
You should immediately report the incident to a member of staff. They should have a trained first aider on duty who should provide basic first aid. They will also make a note of the incident, which is very important. If you are able to do so, take photos of the location of the incident. Ask staff if there is CCTV of the incident. If there were any witnesses to the accident get their contact details.
How much is my claim worth
You can make a claim for general damages for your pain, suffering and loss of amenity as well as any other reasonably incurred financial losses and expenses. We will advise you in more detail on what you can claim, and once medical evidence is available, we can give you more detailed advice on the likely value of the claim. In the meantime, for general guidance on what awards of compensation claimed, please click here.
Time limits to make a claim
You have 3 years from the date of the accident to make a claim. Where the injured person is under 18, the 3 year time limit starts when you are 18. We highly recommend that claims are pursued quickly so that evidence can be obtained at the start of the case. As a rule of thumb, the longer the delay before making a claim, the lower the success rate.
We strongly recommend that you speak to us quickly about making our claim.
How long does the compensation claim process take
The process of making claim for compensation generally takes a few months in simple cases where liability is not in dispute. In more serious or complex cases, claims will inevitably take longer.
Why choose Levenes?
We work diligently for our clients to help them put their lives back together and at the same time obtain the maximum compensation. With us on your side, you can expect:
- Over 100 years of combined experience – We have proven results; we are lawyers who fight for you with a record of success.
- Strong litigators – We are not afraid to take your case to court if we have to. We stand up for the rights of the injured and not for the rights of the big corporations.
- Empathy – We pride ourselves on our compassion and understanding and we are easy to talk to. We always put your interest first and we treat you as our family.
- A personal approach – Your case will be handled directly by one our partners with support from our team of lawyers.
- A tailor-made approach – Every client is treated individually and not as a number, to achieve the best possible result that you deserve.
- Clear communication – We talk to you in a down to earth way. We avoid legal jargon unless it cannot be avoided, and if so, we explain things clearly and simply.
- Maximum compensation – We have the courage to fight for what you are entitled to.
- Full attention – We have the resources to focus on every detail of the case and consider every angle. We do not spread ourselves too thinly – you deserve our full attention.