Finger amputation accident at work claims
One of the most common types of work accident claim that Levenes deal with concerns the amputation of fingers when using machinery at work.
Usually, these injuries occur because employers do not maintain dangerous machinery in a safe condition. Corners are cut- safety features are disabled- all in the name of speed of production and profit.
Claiming for a finger amputation
Levenes recently settled the case of Mr Marcin Chamluk who was operating an ancient grinder, when suddenly the fast spinning grinding wheel came in to contact with his finger.
When that happens, there is only one outcome – human tissue and bone stands no chance. Mr Chamluk lost part of his index finger, which sadly could not be reattached. He has been left with a shortened finger and reduced grip strength.
Liability was admitted by the insurers but there were some arguments about how much Marcin should be awarded. The insurers tried to argue that the award should be for the loss of the terminal phalanx which is the very end of the finger from the joint to the tip of the nail.
Personal Injury claims negotiation process
They said that he had recovered well and would not have serious long-term consequences as a result of his finger amputation.
Thanks to our experience and expertise of dealing with this type of case, we knew that it was not so simple as the insurers would suggest. We obtained a medical report and discussed with the expert his opinion as to what problems may be faced in the future because of his finger being amputated.
We argued that there was more loss of finger than just the end of the finger and that his grip was affected as he had to alter the way he gripped things, using his middle finger to compensate.
It was not necessary to go to court in this case, but that did not mean there was not a need to fight to get Mr Chamluk a fair settlement and there were several offers made by each side until the insurers agreed to make a sensible and realistic offer.
Amputation Compensation Claims
The case could have gone to court if a sensible offer had not been agreed, but thanks to the strong approach we took, the insurers came to their senses and backed down.
In a case like this, it is really important that your lawyers have experience and expertise of this type of case, so that they know how best to present the case to maximise your settlement for amputation claims.
There are some claims firms that would have advised Mr Chamluk to take the first offer, but Levenes are not like that – we will always advise you properly on any offers and we will not advise you to accept an offer unless we are sure that it is a good settlement that takes proper account of your injuries.
In this case, Mr Chamluk did not need a prosthetic for his amputated finger, but in more serious amputation cases, there are available both functional and cosmetic prosthetics, the cost of which can be added to the claim.
Why choose Levenes for amputation claims?
Focused solely on helping personal injury victims
We work diligently for our clients to help them put their lives back together and at the same time obtain the maximum compensation. With us on our side, you can expect:
- Over 100 years of combined experience – We have proven results; we are lawyers who fight for you with a record of success.
- Strong litigators – We are not afraid to take your case to court if we have to. We stand up for the rights of the injured and not for the rights of the big corporations.
- Empathy – We pride ourselves on our compassion and understanding and we are easy to talk to. We always put your interest first and we treat you as our family.
- A personal approach – Your case will be handled directly by one our partners with support from our team of lawyers.
- A tailor-made approach – Every client is treated individually and not as a number, to achieve the best possible result that you deserve.
- Clear communication – We talk to you in a down to earth way. We avoid legal jargon unless it cannot be avoided, and if so, we explain things clearly and simply.
- Maximum compensation – We have the courage to fight for what you are entitled to.
- Full attention – We have the resources to focus on every detail of the case and consider every angle. We do not spread ourselves too thinly – you deserve our full attention.
Our solicitors have a wealth of experienced in dealing with amputation compensation claims. You will need expert advice on what action you can take to obtain accident compensation. You can trust in the experience and knowledge of our team of professional serious injury lawyers to ensure that you receive the maximum amount of compensation that you are entitled to.